As we looked forward to 2020, I believe many of us were filled with hope and enthusiasm. Early into the year, we learned that we needed to adjust our lives due to Covid-19. As difficult as that has been, can you imagine how much more difficult it would have been if we had not started with hope?
With the beginning of Advent just days away, the gifts of hope, peace, joy, and love are once again on our minds as we prepare for Christmas. In your role as the App administrator, you have an opportunity to foster these gifts in the lives of your parishioners. Try sending meaningful messages that will keep them engaged, strengthen their faith, give newfound ways to use the app, and share it with others. Starting November 29, 2020, the first Sunday of Advent, there will be Advent Reflections that can be accessed by tapping the ‘Advent’ button in the app.
Additionally, here are a few Advent ideas you might want to share with your parishioners:
- Encourage small group daily devotion. Because of the health risks we are faced with.Try using Zoom, Skype, Facetime, or a simple phone call. Share a couple of readings and prayer found on the App with a friend, family member or group. Remember, “Inspiration Daily” can be delivered right to your email box. Click here to subscribe.
- Listen to beautiful Advent music. “Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel” is a favorite. Enjoy this beautiful version from The Piano Guys. https://youtu.be/iO7ySn-Swwc
- Light an Advent wreath. Advent wreath traditions can be simple, lovely ways to strengthen your faith at home. https://www.stjeromeonline.org/prayers-for-the-home-advent-wreath.html
- With or without small children, reading classic Christmas stories each evening can be very peaceful. “24 Christmas Stories” is a popular one. https://www.catholiccompany.com/twenty-four-christmas-stories-welcome-jesus-i112911/
- Give to your church, your neighbors, your community. Again, keeping cautious with health regulations, leaving a simple gift on a friend’s porch can mean so much.
- Consider the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Advent is about preparation. Prepare your heart and spirit for Christmas.