myParish App isn’t just about the features you see on the screen. If you do a little creative thinking, you can use the app in some unique ways.
For instance, it’s easy to get stuck thinking about just our own parish. Here is Applandia, at Saint Alphege the Bald Catholic Church, we try and think about the universal church, as well. Here are some things we’ve done:
- Consider a parish-wide novena using the app. Send the novena prayer as a daily message. (Need ideas for novenas? Check out this page.)
- How much do you know about your parish’s patron saint? Send a message on the saint’s feast or send a message with a prayer for your patron’s intercession on a regular schedule (weekly, or monthly.)
- Send a message with the Holy Father’s intentions on the first day of the month, and encourage parishioners to pray the Morning Offering for them. The Morning Offering can be found in the Prayers tab in the app, where prayers are listed alphabetically. (You can find the Holy Father’s monthly intentions here.)
With just a little effort, your parish community can use myParish App to stay connected to the world-wide Catholic community in prayer, and learn some new things as well.
Here in Applandia, we are always on the look-out for the best Catholic content for myParish App. With this in mind, we are thrilled to now offer an audio Bible feature that app administrators can add for their parish community.
We wanted the very best Bible audio program we could find, and we found it in Truth & Life.
The Truth & Life Dramatized audio Bible New Testament is endorsed with an Imprimatur from the Vatican and includes a foreword by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. Voiced by award winning internationally-renowned actors including: Neal McDonough, Kristen Bell, Sean Astin, Michael York, Blair Underwood, Malcolm McDowell, Stacy Keach, Brian Cox, Julia Ormond, John Rhys-Davies and many more.
For many people, reading the Bible can be difficult or inconvenient. With the addition of the Truth & Life Audio Bible to myParish App, the Bible will come to life. Not only that, but this feature will allow a person to listen anywhere they have their phone.
If you’d like to add this feature to the app for your parish, please call us at (800) 997-8805, and our staff will gladly help you.
Remember too: when you add a new feature to the app, be sure to make note of it in your parish bulletin and other announcements. Keep your faith community informed as to what features myParish App has in store for them.
No, we don’t think the app is invisible. But it can get overlooked. People forget that it’s on their phone, or maybe your staff is still a little reluctant to use it.At Saint Alphege the Bald Catholic Church here in Applandia, the staff has best practices down to an art form. Here are a few tips:
- Post the “Download myParish App” image to your Facebook page. Pin it at the top of your FB page so that it’s the first thing people see in your feed.
- In the bulletin, put in instructions about how to download the app. You don’t have to do this every week, but a couple of times a month is good.
- Use the App Feature of the Week in the bulletin. (Go to myparishapp.com and look under the “Features” tab.) There’s one for each basic button on your app; that’s 12 weeks of tips!
By dedicating a few minutes every week to “best practices” for the app, you’ll see an increase of parishioner use and participation. And that means your job in the parish is easier, and most importantly, people are connecting with their faith, every day.
You’ve had a successful launch! Parishioners are excited about the app, and people are using it.
In a word: Relaunch. Now that doesn’t mean you have to have another big, pull-out-all-the-stops weekend. Instead, think about “relaunching” like maintenance.
Here in Applandia, we have a great hardware store. It’s got everything you need to fix a leaky pipe, clean the vinyl siding on your house, regrout your tub or rake the leaves. (Yeah, it’s not exciting, but it’s got to be done.) Better yet, the Applandia hardware store is staffed with terrific people who can help. You don’t know what tool to use? Not sure how to get that pipe back on once you’ve got it off? We can help.
Here are a few ideas for “Relaunch” or app maintenance:
- Include information about the app in your parish’s welcome packet. Be sure to mention it when new parishioners stop in the office to register.
- Be sure to put information about myParish App in parent information packets for back-to-school and religious ed. The Groups feature is a terrific way for teachers and parents to communicate.
- Make sure your parish leaders/staff know that the app should be their “go-to” for communication. While the Groups feature is great for Bible studies, small groups and RCIA, it’s equally terrific for making sure the choir members know which pieces of music to bring for practice, or for sending out the Pastoral Council minutes before the next meeting.
- Remind parishioners via all your communications channels about myParish App. Put information about how to download in your bulletin on a regular basis. The same goes for your parish Facebook page.
- If you have a Time/Talent/Treasure or Stewardship Sunday, make sure you include an information table about the app.
Relaunching won’t be burdensome if you follow these suggestions. And if you have a question or need some help, our friendly support staff (just like the folks at the hardware store) will be happy to lend a hand. Give us a call at 1-800-997-8805.